Turkey legs, tickets, and basketball shorts

I am embarrassed to admit how much time it is taking me to figure out how to embed a slideshow. I think I will take a break from it all to highlight a few that have made this summer memorable.

Turkey legs
I had never tasted a real turkey leg until I went to my first rodeo this past weekend. I mean, I eat turkey at Thanksgiving, but my Grandmother has never served me one whole turkey leg. Well, getting in to the rodeo was quite expensive, not to mention the money we were about to spend on food. All four of us were hungry when we arrived, and the smells of 'walking tacos,' cotton candy, and nachos didn't help. At first we settled for a huge gatorade, which Anna and J. Ross shared. After we found our seats, and watched a few children's rodeo events, we realized the inevitable - we would have to buy some food. Thus, we began the search for our rodeo food. There were several requirements for this perfect meal:

1)Dinner-ish(meaning, no cotton candy),
2)Unique to a rodeo or state fair,
3)Good price, AND
4)Not messy.

We searched for several minutes. *If anyone has ever been to the grocery store with my husband, eh-hem, he/she knows that no decision is made quickly. Every week I have 3 different choices of cereals than I had the week before (in my pantry). No doubt, he always gets the best deal, and the 'coolest' cereals in the store.* We finely landed on a possibility.



Hmm. Smoked turkey legs. $6. They smell good. They look good. We bet they tasted good too. One turkey leg, please. And the rest was history. The four of us shared that turkey leg, and when I went to bed at midnight that lovely 4th of July evening, I was still full. The kids never asked for another snack either. It was like Thanksgiving in July.
















Tickets
At the beginning of the summer, I decided I would need to have a new reward system for my children. Something to get them excited about good behavior and good choices. I implemented a system I used with my 5th graders (not my idea of course). Anna and J. Ross may earn tickets for various types of behavior. Possible rewardable actions:

1. buckling one's own seatbelt with no help,
2. finishing meals,
3. pee pee in potty (one ticket for pee pee, etc.)
4. cleaning up room
5. not crying when we leave a certain place

At the end of every "week" (or so), I draw one ticket. Whoever receives the most tickets in a week has a better chance of winning. The winner gets to choose from the treasure box.

Well, Anna Belle earned way more tickets than J. Ross the first week, but J. Ross's name was drawn. Second week - J. Ross wins again, when Anna had, by far, the most tickets in the box. Anna was such a good sport. The third week, I rigged the drawing, so Anna could win, and the 4th week, I decided to have a bonus drawing, meaning, I drew two names, so they both got to choose. Who will win next week?


Basketball Shorts This is a picture of my son, who fell asleep on the stairs last week. Notice the outfit he is wearing. Those would be one of his many pairs of 'basketball shorts'. I am not sure where he gets this idea, but, when we return home from running errands, he strips down immediately. "I want to wear my basketball shorts." Sleeping clothes are basketball shorts and a matching basketball shirt. If we are at home he is in his basketball shorts.

































2 comments:

I couldn't see any pics, but I LOVE the ticket idea! I really really like it.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008  

So funny, my boys love to wear basketball shorts too. I like your ticket system. I have been trying to implement systems from my classroom as well. (by the way I teach 5th grade too)

Wednesday, July 09, 2008