Nuns, Monks, and Priests

I took lots of pictures of nuns on this trip. I think they must be really amazing women. This picture was taken in the hotel where we stayed in Siena. The nuns lived on the 2nd floor, and the hotel was on the 1st floor. This woman probably makes all her phone calls from a telephone booth, right? The idea of leaving the mainstream to live a life of devotion to the things of the Lord and service to God is such a respectable calling. I took this picture while walking by the phone booth in the hallway. She never knew I took it. I hope it doesn't seem that I am being disprespectful to nuns. That isn't my intention at all.
















Above are some pictures of some more nuns and monks in Assisi. When Josh and I were in Assisi, I took a break for a cappuccino, and Josh went on to spend some time in the basilica of St. Francis (pictured below).

Cappuccino


Basilica

Well, Josh later told me that he overhead a priest from the U. S. talking to a group of American tourists about why he chose to go to school in Rome. We saw him again at the train station in Assisi, eating his dinner before getting on the train to Rome. That was July 28th. On July 30th, Josh, Deb and I headed to the Vatican on a public bus. After a few blocks, guess who steps onto the bus? Yep, the priest we had seen twice in Assisi two days prior. Okay, I guess it's not that weird. I mean, we were in Italy, and Rome and Assisi are two places that attract a lot of Americans. But, what are the chances that we would see the same guy three times within 3 days? When the priest got on the bus, he wasn't wearing the same black suit he was wearing in Assisi. However, he was wearing Docker's, so I knew it must be him. Long story short, he ended up offering to give us a tour of St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican. Not only that, but another American priest friend saw us as we approached Vatican City. He walked us all the way to the front of the line, helping us to avoid who knows how long of a wait to get in. I guess he had special connections. Joe (the priest) provided us with an abundance of information that really made our trip to the Vatican much more meaningful. It was just another event that added to the perfect-ness of our trip. Thanks Joe!


Okay, I have to add this. We saw a group of nuns leaving Vatican City, and they were all laughing and having the best time throwing water on each other and squealing like little girls. It was sooooo cute! My memory card was full at the time, so I couldn't take their picture. If I could have, it would have looked something like this:





(I googled "nuns having fun" to find a photo similar to what we saw. This is the first thing that came up.)



0 comments: