Good news, bad news

Tomorrow is the first Sunday of the month. The night before any first Sunday of the month, my husband will say, "do you want the good news, or the bad news?" I always choose the bad news first, because no matter what the bad news is, the good news will inevitably make up for it. "The bad news is, tomorrow's pot luck Sunday"...Oh yeah. What's the good news? "Tomorrow's pot luck Sunday." I have never heard of anything that good be such bad news and such good news all at the same time. I know what you're thinking. How could pot luck Sunday be bad news? Well, there are a few reasons. That means, I have to think of something to make. If I forget until it's too late, I end up feeling guilty and stressed. Or, Josh makes his specialty - frozen vegetables in a dish - which we heat up with salt and pepper when we get there. I still feel guilty when he does that, by the way. Have you ever thought about how often the first Sunday of the month comes around? I mean, before I know it, it will be the first Sunday of October and I'll be thinking of what to make. But, then, there's the good news. Let's just say, we have some really good cooks at our church. We get to eat every potluck-ish think under the sun on potluck Sunday: deviled eggs, lasagna, broccoli salad, barbequed chicken, corn casserole, pies and cakes galore. Food, fun, and fellowship. Then, come home to a clean kitchen and an afternoon nap.
If my seminary friend, Emily http://macaronincheeseagain.blogspot.com/, reads this, she will be so disappointed in me. I remember what she always used to say about potluck etiquette..."for potluck you should bring what you would bring if you were feeding your entire family - anything less isn't enough." I also remember what she said about being late, but that's another story. Anyway. This has been a good weekend so far. I got to be with my mom on Friday...then, my girlfriends on Friday night...Saturday, slept in, then saw some old college friends....for dinner met Josh's uncle and had some good talks. Tomorrow's pot luck Sunday. Have a great week!

2 comments:

Julie said...

I'm curious to hear what you took for potluck today. ha!

Sunday, September 07, 2008  

HA! And I still LOVE potluck! Luckily, my kids don't eat much, so I don't have to make TOO much to live up to my own ideas!

Wednesday, September 10, 2008